Grounds Open, Tower Closed
The second Coffin Island Lighthouse, built in 1914 as a substitute for the original, was a white octagonal concrete tower, 16.5 meters tall, and showed a flashing white mild. Because the shoreline stone island designer clothing at the purpose where the lighthouse stood step by step eroded away, the tower was in hazard of toppling into the sea. The Coffin Island Lighthouse Heritage Society was formed and mounted a profitable drive to construct a stone armor wall in 199to protect the lighthouse, however after a number of years, it was obvious that the erosion may very well be retarded but not stopped. A new fiberglass tower, was erected on Coffin Island, 330 ft from the shore, in October 2006, and the concrete tower was demolished. Coffin Island Lighthouse marks the entrance to Liverpool Bay by japanese approaches, while the western approaches are marked by Western Head Lighthouse.
Located on the southeast point of Coffin Island, marking the jap aspect of the entrance to Liverpool Stone Island Polo-Shirts Harbour.
Latitude: 44.033639, Longitude: -Sixty four.628278
For a bigger map of Coffin Island Lighthouse, click on the lighthouse in the above map.
Coffin Island is finest seen by boat or from the air, however distant views can be found from Moose Harbour, north of Western Head Lighthouse. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.