Lighthouses On The Isle Of Wight
Lighthouses on the Isle of Wight are major landmarks here on the island. It is an ideal location for lighthouse fans to go to. Beneath you will note information regarding the lighthouses on the Isle of Wight.
Set within the western approaches to the Isle of Wight, the Needles type a slender chalky peninsula which rises from jagged rocks to 120m cliffs. These rocks have always been a hazard to ships making their manner up the Solent to Portsmouth and Southampton Water.
In 1781 merchants and shipowners petitioned Trinity House for a lighthouse. They obtained a patent in January 1782 which directed that lights must be stored burning in the nightseason whereby seafaring men and mariners may take discover and avoid hazard….. and ships and other vessels of battle might safely cruise during the evening season in the British Channel.
Negotiations must have failed as a result of it was not till 1785 that Trinity House erected to the designs of R. Jupp, for 30 years surveyor to the East India Company, three lighthouses at the Needles, St. Catherine’s Point and Hurst Level. The Needles tower was lighted on the 29th September 1786. Because the tower was situated on high of a cliff overhanging Scratchell’s Bay, the light which was 144m above sea level was usually obscured by sea mists and fog and was therefore of restricted use to mariners.
In 1859 Trinity Home planned a new lighthouse to be constructed on the outermost of the chalk rocks close to sea level. It was designed by James Walker and price £20,000. The circular granite tower has perpendicular sides and is 33.25m excessive, of uniform diameter with an unevenly stepped base to interrupt the waves and discourage sea sweeping up the tower. The wall varies from 1.07m in thickness at the entrance, to 0.61m at the top. A lot of the base rock was reduce away to type the foundation and cellars and storehouses have been excavated within the chalk.
The light on the Needles has two white, two purple and one inexperienced sector, with one of the red sectors intensified, these are set out as follows:
Crimson intensified sector shore to 300 marks the St Anthony Rocks
White sector 300 to 083 marks the approach to the Needles Channel from the west
Pink sector 083 to 212 marks the Shingles Bank
White sector 212 to 217 marks the course by way of the Needles Channel
Green sector 217 to 224 marks a safe channel previous the Hatherwood Rocks and the Warden Ledge
A helipad was constructed on prime of the Needles Lighthouse in 1987.
The Needles Lighthouse was automated in 1994, the keepers left the lighthouse for the final time on 8th December. Needles was the last Trinity House lighthouse powered by 100V DC electricity from it is own generators; to enable the automation to be carried out mains power has been provided via a subsea cable from the Needles Battery, which gives 240V AC energy for the brand new equipment.
The unique optic with it is preparations of inexperienced and crimson glass giving the different coloured sectors of light remained after automation but a brand new three position lampchanger was installed with two 1500W 240V most important lamps and a 24V battery powered emergency lamp.
The supertyphon air pushed fog signal was changed by two Honeywell ELG 500 Hz directional fog signals managed by means of a fog detector. The emitter stacks were mounted at gallery level outdoors the helideck construction.
The Needles is monitored and managed through a cellphone telemetry link from the Trinity Home Operations Management Centre at Harwich, Essex.
Established : 1786
Top Of Tower: 31 Metres
Top Of Mild Above Imply High Water: 24 Metres
Lamp: 1500W 240V
Optic: 2nd Order 700Mm Fixed Lens
Character: White, Crimson And Green Group Occurring Twice Every 20 Seconds (Mild 14 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds, Gentle 2 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds)
Intensity: Purple (Intensified) 3,950 Candela, White 12,300 Candela, Pink 1,800 Candela, Inexperienced 2,680 Candela
Range Of Gentle: Red (Intensified) 17 Sea Miles, White 17 Sea Miles, Crimson 14 Sea Miles, Inexperienced 14 Sea Miles
Fog Sign Character: Sounding Twice Each 30 Seconds
ST CATHERINE’S LIGHTHOUSE
St Catherine’s Lighthouse is situated at Niton Undercliffe, 5 miles from Ventnor on the Isle of Wight and includes a white octagonal tower with 94 steps as much as the lantern. The main light, seen for up to 30 nautical miles in clear weather is the third most highly effective mild within the Trinity Home Service giving a guide to shipping within the Channel as well as vessels approaching the Solent.
There’s a set red subsidiary light displayed from a window 7 metres beneath the principle mild and shown westward over the Atherfield Ledge. It’s seen for 17 miles in clear weather, and was first exhibited in 1904. Each lights are electric, and standby battery lights are provided in case of a power failure.
A small light was first arrange at St. Catherine’s in about 1323 by Walter de Godyton. He erected a chapel and added an endowment for a priest to say Plenty for his household and to exhibit lights at night to warn ships from approaching too close to this harmful coast, both purposes being fulfilled until about 1530 when the Reformation swept away the endowment. Neither the present lighthouse tower lighted in March 1840, nor the chapel of which the ruins stay, held these ancient lights. The present tower was constructed in 1838 following the lack of the sailing ship CLARENDON on rocks near the positioning of the current lighthouse. The lighthouse was constructed of ashlar stone with dressed quoins and was carried stone island caps hats up from a base plinth as a 3 tier octagon, diminishing by stages. The elevation of the sunshine proved to be too high, as the lantern ceaselessly became mist capped and in 1875 it was determined to decrease the light 13 metres by taking about 6 metres out of the uppermost part of the tower and about 7 metres out of the center tier, which destroyed its beauty and made it appear dwarfed.
At the moment the fog sign home was situated close to the edge of the cliff however owing to erosion and cliff settlements the building developed such critical cracks that in 1932 it grew to become vital to search out a brand new place for the fog signal, which was eventually mounted on a decrease tower annexed to the entrance of the lighthouse tower, and constructed as a small replica. The resultant impact has been to provide a well proportioned step down between the two towers which at the moment are expressively referred to by the native inhabitants as “The Cow and the Calf”. Stone Island Shop The fog signal was discontinued in 1987.
A tragic incident passed off on the station throughout the Second World War. On the 1st June 1943 a bombing raid destroyed the engine home killing the three keepers on duty who had taken shelter within the building. R.T. Grenfell, C. Tomkins and W.E. Jones had been buried in the native cemetery at Niton village and a plaque in remembrance of them is displayed on the bottom ground of the main tower.
St Catherines Lighthouse was automated in 1997 with the keepers leaving the lighthouse on 30 July.
The lighthouse had been a weather reporting station for the Meteorological Workplace for some years;the keepers made hourly reports which included the temperature, humidity, cloud top and formation and wind route and power. Following demanning of the lighthouse an automated weather reporting station was put in which sends particulars of the weather conditions to the Met. Workplace.
The lighthouse itself is now monitored and managed from the Trinity Home Operations Management Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Peak Of Tower: 27 Metres
Top Of Light Above Mean Excessive Water: Forty one Metres
Automated: 30 July 1997
Lamp: 2 X 400 W Mbi Lamp
Optic: 2nd Order 4 Panel Catadioptric
Character: One White Flash Each 5 Seconds
Intensity: 927,000 Candela
Vary Of Mild: 26 Sea Miles
EGYPT Point (This gentle is not operational)
Picture: Steven Winter
Tower Height: 25 ft.
Description of Tower: Purple post with white lantern, on round white base.
Date Established: 1897
Date Current Tower Built: 1897
Date Deactivated: 1989
THE NAB TOWER
This curious wanting object a couple of miles to the South East of Bembridge started life throughout the primary World Warfare as a part of an anti-submarine defence system. During 1916 the British Admiralty, alarmed by the losses of allied service provider transport to German U-boats designed 4 or six towers that had been to be constructed and positioned in the Straits of Dover. They can be linked along with steel nets and armed with two 4″ guns. Nonetheless when the Armistice was signed in 1918 solely one of the deliberate towers was wherever close to completion. The others were dismantled, however what was to be completed with this ninety two foot tall metal cylinder (costing one million pounds sterling, in those days), sitting on its raft of concrete
Till the top of the primary World Battle the dangerous Nab Rock had been marked by a lightship, and it was decided to replace this with a hard and fast lighthouse. The brand new lighthouse was floated into place and the concrete raft (189ft lengthy, by 150ft large, by 80ft deep) flooded so the tower could sit on a shingle bank close to the Nab Rock.
As might be seen from the photograph the tower took up a distinct angle (3 degrees from the vertical towards the Northeast) when it settled. The lighthouse used to be manned by a crew of four, however in widespread with all Britain’s lighthouses it is now unmanned and is fully automated.
During WWII the Nab was armed with two 40mm Bofors Guns and was credited with shooting down 3½ enemy aircraft (the half was shared with a passing ship).
The tower still offers a welcoming sight to seafarers returning to the Solent at the top of their voyage. In November 1999 the Nab was hit by a freighter, the Dole-America, carrying a cargo of bananas and pineapples. The ship was badly broken and only prevented sinking by being run-aground. The bottom of the tower suffered solely superficial injury.